March 8, 2011

::RECIPE:: Chicken Chili

In college, my boyfriend's mom used to send him back to campus with delicious leftovers that he so graciously shared with me. One of my favorite meals was Chicken Chili and once I started making it, well, I couldn't stop. It's my go-to recipe that my whole family loves and yes, that boyfriend is now my husband and my mother-in-law is still inspiring me with all her great recipes. I've been making Chicken Chili for 15 years or so and I still love it just as much today as I did back then.


Ingredients:

salt & pepper
2 or 3 large chicken breasts on the bone
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T olive oil
1 - 1.5 cups of water or chicken stock
1 can (15 ounces) white navy or cannellini beans (include juices)
1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (include juices)
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel white corn or shoepeg corn
cumin (liberal amount)
oregano (liberal amount)
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
tortilla chips
a little hot sauce if you like it spicy
a dollop of sour cream
and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro if you're fancy

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, and then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Transfer to a stockpot. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until flavors merry. Serve with shredded cheese & tortilla chips!





No comments: