October 7, 2011

::Vintage Fabric::

I surprised my mom recently for her birthday.
I packed up my girls and headed down to Virginia
a couple Saturdays ago to
spend the weekend with her and my dad.
An added bonus to visiting my parents
is being able to visit Molly and her family.
Luckily for me, Molly and her husband
needed a babysitter for Saturday night!
Woohoo!
We kept Molly's little guy over night
and it was awesome playing trucks and cars
with him.
As always, when visiting my mom,
I end up poking around her sewing and crafting areas.
It's filled to the brim with vintage buttons and trims,
creative projects in the midst of being completed,
and of course, fabric.
I have a million memories of walking into my
mom's sewing room and seeing her back
as she was leaned over in quiet concentration
sewing and making and creating.
I've never gotten tired of seeing what she's made.
And I've never gotten tired of going through her
enormous fabric stash. There are many bits and pieces that
remind me of the quilts and dresses and curtains she's made.
It's like going down memory lane. I particularly love seeing
the remnants of fabric that she used to make clothes for us.

Mom joined me as I went through her entire stash of fabric
and let me take so much. Thanks Mom!
Here are some little bits of what I brought home.
Mostly vintage, but all very sweet.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

These pieces are so cute and delicate and precious that
I can't bear to cut them up.
They are going to stay in this little pile
on a shelf next to my sewing table.

The top piece might be a feed sack fabric.

I adore the little rosebuds and the petite flowers
on green.
I think it's time to accept the fact that I'm
a fabric collector
and it's ok if I don't actually sew
with this fabric.
What about you? Do you collect fabric for no
other reason than to display it?

1 comment:

Just Jaime said...

Looove the fabric. Yes, I'm starting my own collection!