January 9, 2011

Christmas Card Craft

I like the idea of using our family Christmas card to make some sort of momento to remember the year by. Remember these ornaments I made several years ago from left over Christmas cards & wedding invitations?! I really wanted to do something special with our 2010 Christmas card since it was Baby C's first Christmas. I knew I wanted to decoupage the card onto something, but, I didn't know what that something was...until I spoke to Flannery. She led me to this inspiration:


Isn't that adorable!?

So, I decided on the word JOY to display above our stockings during the holidays. Then I headed to Michael's and bought some supplies!




I printed out several copies of our Christmas card on regular computer paper. From my (limited) decoupage experience, photos do not decoupage well. And the thinner the paper, the easier to decoupage! First, I traced the letters on the BACK of the paper/card. Then, I started to cut & paste! I used the Paper Modge Podge for most of the project. Thanks to Flann, who tipped me off to Sparkle Modge Podge - I used that as the final coat to give the letters a little holiday sparkle! :)

Ta Da!





I love how the letters turned out! This project has so many possibilities and you can really get creative (paint, ribbon, etc.). A decoupaged monogram would make an adorable baby shower, housewarming or wedding shower gift don't you think!?

8 comments:

cleverlyinspired said...

Shared on fb. Love. This. Idea. !!!!

Three Sisterz said...

Thanks Tracie!!

Colleen said...

What an awesome idea. And your execution was great!

Tasha said...

What a great idea! I LOVE this!!! Thanks for sharing and for linking up! Made my day!!
Tasha
www.dotdotdotthis.blogspot.com
P.S. I am your newest follower!

Deana said...

Love it, love it, love it! I'm always trying to figure out what to do with our Christmas cards. Thanks for sharing! :)

www.countrybymarriage.com

Anonymous said...

One of the next things I was planning to try was modpodge on letters. I hadn't thought of using photos and it's good to know actual photos don't do so well. This project turned out nicely!www.keepitsimpleyay.blogspot.com

Brooke Douglass said...

That is a great idea!!!! I might have to use that for next year!!!! Thank u, Brooke
brookedouglass@yahoo.com
Girl Boy Girl Inspired

6th Grade said...

love this idea and your blog!! i can't sew a button on a shirt so i'm in awe of the magic you all can do.

thanks, molly, for stopping by my blog and checking out my mid-century redo. glad you like it!

btw, your "no-reply" is set on your email so people can't get back to you easily!! get on that, girl!

your newest follower,

amy