February 23, 2011

Bedroom Makeover with Drop Cloth Pillows

What do you get when you mix two sisters, four kids, a bottle of wine and a bag of Starburst jelly beans?
You get the most amazing bedroom makeover ever.


Remember my bedroom inspiration post a few weeks ago?
I really wanted my room to look something like Miss Mustard Seed's guest room: 


Molly came to visit and we set to work making drop cloth pillows that were inspired by all of the feedsack style pillows that you see in blogland and, of course, Pottery Barn:



I'm pretty sure I like ours better.  As in, can I hang in my room all day?  
Take a look.


We made two Euro size pillows with stripes.



Then we added a smaller pillow with my last name initial "B".



Seriously, admit it.  They really are pretty cute.  The little red pillow is tied with creamy grosgrain ribbon.  We sewed that one a little bit differently than the others.  That tutorial will come shortly.  It's shockingly easy.



We initially set out to really, truly mimic the feedsack and have faded stripes but as we got to painting, we decided we wanted a stronger statement so we painted the stripes on pretty heavily.



We used a super easy pillow tutorial from Lemon Tree Creations.  Takes all of 10 minutes.  It would be a great beginner sewer project.



Here is the bed layered up.  There's a creamy white Pottery Barn duvet under there.  The red quilt is Pottery Barn outlet from a few years back.



The bird prints were handed down from the Buchanan's.  The mirror was picked off the trash here in Longmeadow (rather shamelessly by my mother).



This is my side of the bed.  NOT.



So sweet on my grandmothers red chair.  Have I mentioned yet that red is my favorite color?



Tutorials for the pillows to follow soon.  
In the meantime, tell me, what would make your bedroom more inviting to you?  


27 comments:

cleverlyinspired said...

Ok...these would match my lakehouse perfect...send them my way!! I love this! I will be doing these for sure! Thanks for the inspiration..love the pics!

Amy said...

Looks great! I love them, I love using drop clothes. Nice work.

{northern cottage} said...

gorgeous! I like the bold stripes too....the red mmmm yummy!

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yes yes they do look really cute I love them :) sounds like you sisiters have fun :)

Jen said...

Wow I love these! I dont know why but anything made of drop cloth amazes me, great job!

~ Jen @ http://pinstripestopearls.blogspot.com/

Katy said...

Love your site. The monogrammed pillows look awesome. That bedroom is gorgeous!! You have an amazing eye for design. Stay fabulous.

Sachiko said...

They are so beautiful!

Allison said...

GORGEOUS JOB, Ladies!! Are those lamps from the living room?

Flannery @ Three Sisterz said...

Thanks everyone!! I am so happy with how it turned out especially because it's only taken me four years living in the house to make my room what I want it to be.:) @Amy, drop cloths are the best! I just bought some to hang in my family room! @Allison, the lamps are the big Mexican brass candlesticks from the living room! Nothing like repurposing;).

Alison Agnew said...

i love trash-pickin mothers almost as much as these fabulous pillows! gorgeous. i am now following simply based on the loveliness of this new room...would love for you to share this on my 'fridays unfolded' linky @ http://www.stuff-and-nonsense.net/2011/02/fridays-unfolded-7.html

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Courtney and Heather said...

These pillows are SO cute! Thanks for the sweet comment. We are now following you! We love finding more sisters who blog together. I've added your blog to our "Sassy Sisters" blog list! :)

Have a great weekend!

{Heather}
love2sisters.blogspot.com

shannon said...

Very clever, great alternative to burlap!
www.dashing-home.blogspot.com

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

REALLY really cute! I always love a PB knockoff!

Chris said...

Really nice! These would work perfectly in my library redo! Thanks for sharing. Chris

A Vintage Vine said...

Great knockoff!...I really like your bedroom makeover! Saw you on SAS linky party.

Pamela said...

No matter how many I see I never tire of these grain sack pillows. It is definitely one of the things on my 'to do' list. I like them done in the bolder colors too.

Alison Agnew said...

i'm so thrilled you decided to link up...have a wonderful weekend.

blessings,

alison

Unknown said...

Great job! Love the pillow inspiration. XOXO

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

I LOVE these pillows! I think you've inspired me to make some for my living room! I featured your project on my blog today! Please come check it out and grab my button!

Hugs ~~ Suz
www.inspiringcreativeness.blogspot.com

Homeroad said...

Hi I found you when you were featured next to me on Inspiring Creativeness. I love your site. I want to make those pillows they are so great! Can you tell me where you buy the fabric?
Thank
Susan
www.homeroad.net

Homeroad said...

Ok nevermind, I see you painted the stripes on drop cloth! I love them!
Susan

Meredith said...

Very lovely pillows! Love that fabric paint is more than just for teenage girls making t-shirts nowadays. Thanks for your sweet comment on my striped shower curtain. Hope you have a great one!
Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont

Heaven's Walk said...

Beautiful job!!! That room is classy and chic! The pillows really do add a pop of fun! :)

xoxo laurie

Flannery @ Three Sisterz said...

Thanks everyone!! Drop cloth is so much fun. And, Suz, thank you so much for featuring us! I'll definitely pop over and read your blog!

Thanks again!

Kelley said...

PHEEEEnominal job! I want to hang in your bedroom. Have a great week!

Green Door Girl said...

these look great - I agree they are better than PB! :) Thanks for linking up to Saturday Spotlight!

Lizard Rae said...

This room is just beautiful!!!